Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Thoughts.

Life is a puzzle, or something like that. 


Something that has been circling the blog and tumblr community is allegations against high profile YouTube members. 

A lot of people have been talking about how they were in manipulative relationships, and there has been talk of victim blaming if anyone speaks out in defense.

Now I in no way condone abusive relationships, whether it be physically, emotionally, verbally, or in any other form you can think of. However I think this whole 'posting your past experience as a victim' online is incredibly damaging for everyone involved.

Now, I myself have experienced some pretty horrible things, several instances of sexual assault being one of them, yet as I said before, no one will gain anything from me posting about it here. 

When people go though something terrible it is good to have support from those around us, but nothing is black and white, so not one can really be labeled a monster from one instance.

I know that when I went through all of these bad time, I was in a bad place myself. I sometimes attempted to stop the situation, other times I did not. There are times where I think the perpetrator knew what they were doing, and times they did not.

I think the real issue, with recent even at least, is about learning to stand up for yourself. I don't mean that in a 'post a tell-all on the internet' kind of way, but in the moment, when someone does something bad, stop it.

This is not always the case I know, and it took me a long time to get to where I am today, which is still pretty quite when it comes to demanding what I want. 

People need to know that we need to leave these subjects to the FBI. I don't care who touched who, or what the circumstances are, but just keep the information to yourself.

Yes tell people about how they can prevent situations like this from occurring, or how to get out of an abusive relationship, but do not go naming and shaming. These people, the 'perpetrators' are sometimes just as fucked up as the victims. They have no right to do what they may or may not have done, but remember that we all live in a society where we are innocent until proven guilty. 

You can not judge someone, and it is your duty as a human not to. Yes some people have to judge and label other for their job (judges for example... yeah.) But the rest of us do not need to give our two cents worth. I am so sick of reading so much about other peoples lives all the time, and people saying they should be 'burnt alive' because of all the terrible, although not yet proven, things they have done.

I don't even know if that made sense at all, but after a sleepless night due to anxiety, I just want to yell at the world to shut up. I don't want to judge you, I don't want to be judged, and I want to just sit at home and believe that YouTube is safe place. That may be naive, but being the emotional wreck that I am, I can not handle other peoples problems. At least not far away internet people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment